Wednesday, 14 October 2015

Congratulations Canada on your National Igloo!

In class we watched a video by Rick Mercer entitled Talking to Americans. Personally, I got a good laugh out of this video and thought it was one of the funniest things I’ve seen in awhile. However, while watching it again and thinking about it in a more serious manner, this video really made me think. Do Americans seriously know this little about us?

First of all, I defiantely do not think we stereotype Americans as much as much as they stereotype us. I know it's hard to believe, but Canada has more than igloo, moose and hockey players. I think the funniest part of the stereotypes were that over half of them were totally unbelievable and outrageous and that the Americans still followed along and believed them. I defiantely do not think we are as ignorant to news in America as they are too us. As a Canadian, I’m taught about 9/11 and the consequences it brought to America and regularly am informed about USA news and events that are happening there. I know about some of the important buildings and monuments like the White House and Mount Rushmore. The fact that they thought we had a national igloo is slightly worrisome, especially coming from a member of their government.

I don’t believe there is a true Canadian identity. Canada is so diverse in many ways that’s it’s hard to choose an identity. We have many different values, beliefs, ethnicities and ways of life. We are such a large country with many different lifestyles, cultures and land types with a wide range of climate. I don’t think Canada’s identity can be put just into one word. However, being Canadian does have a great impact on my own identity. I am extremely proud to be a Canadian and always will be. I live in a country where everyone is accepted and being different isn’t a bad or unusual thing.  Because I live in countries I get so many opportunities that many others take advantage of. I get to receive a good education, get to live a good life and I’m given amazing health care. Knowing that I live in a country that is more fortunate than others has helped me see and appreciate everything I’ve been given. I’ve been able to do almost anything I want and I’m thankful that I live in a country with so much diversity and things to be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment